Thursday, December 6, 2007

Most brazen claim yet.

Usually the amounts that spammers try to attract me with are smallish: hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. But the way these scams work, you give up a percentage of the amount you are going to "get" in order to help "expedite" the process. (Of course what really happens is that percentage goes into someone else's pocket and you get, well, not a damned thing except perhaps the realization you were taken by a scam artist.)

But these amounts limit the amount the scammer can get from you. For example, if a scammer claims you will get a million dollars, they're going to be lucky to get more than maybe 1% out of you ($10,000) before raising suspicions. (Though if you really are that fucking stupid enough, pardon my french, to fall for such a scam in the first place, they probably will get $50,000 or even $100,000 out of you before you stop throwing money away.)

But now if you ask for a hundred million, then 1% is a million dollars--you're on the hook for the long term.

And this scammer just offered that amount:
Good Day,

I am a Fund Manager with Fidelity Investment UK and I handle all our
Investor's Capital Project Funds that enables me to divert 1.2% Investors
Excess Return Capital Funds to our Magellan Trust Funds Account whereby
anyone can be presented to claim the funds.

On this note, the total sum of £54.745M (Fifty Four Million, Seven Hundred
and Forty Five Thousand British Pounds) has been diverted representing the
1.2% Excess Return Capital Funds from the Investor Capital Project Funds
for 2005/2006.I need a reliable and trustworthy person that can work
this deal out with me so that we can claim the funds as mentioned above.
There is no risk attached and the funds in question can never be dictated
or traced.

Our sharing ratio will be discussed as soon as I receive your response. If
you are interested, get back to me for more details about the deal.


Mr.Tim McCarron.

I mean, talk about having a pair of balls with this one:

(1) I've created a fund that diverts 1.2% of the excess from an investment fund, and I need your help stealing it, and
(2) It's a shitload of money.

If someone ever fell for this hook, they're in for a very long, expensive, and ultimately destructive ride!

Note that this guy just offered me more money than the spams I've received to date!
Total To Date: $161,250,000

No comments: